Sponsored by The Chronicle of Higher Education, this program provides insights on the quality and culture of the institutional workplace. Colleges and universities gather information from faculty and staff about impressions of their workplaces — areas of excellence as well as areas for potential improvement — and to benchmark practices, policies and benefits against peer institutions.
UVA participated in a pilot of this survey in Spring 2015 with a response rate of 24 percent.
(Given UVA's low response rate the survey results are not generalizable to the broader UVA population. For a 95 percent confidence level the response rate would need to be around 39 percent).
- Job satisfaction, teaching environment, work-life balance & compensation
- University pride
- Supervisors/department chairs
- Policy, resources, efficiency & shared governance
- Senior leadership and relationships between faculty, administration & staff
- Communication, collaborations, and respect and appreciation
There are several routine surveys implemented across the University:
- Coache Survey: administered to all faculty to obtain benchmarking data every four years
- Periodic customized surveys - faculty survey and staff survey
- Gallup Survey: administered by the Medical Center